General Supplier Setup and Other Request to the Tax Department Overview
- US Citizens and Entities, US Non-Reportable Students, all Reimbursement payees and Petty Cash Custodian suppliers are required to register on the University Payee Account Registration portal. Please note that all submissions must have a US address. Suppliers with foreign addresses should request set up via the Tax Department Request Form.
- Non US Citizens and Entities should register through the Tax Department Request Form. Please note that you will be required to upload tax documents securely upon completion of this form as one pdf document. Please see 'PAYMENTS TO NON US CITIZENS AND ENTITIES' below.
- All requests to update current Supplier information (e.g. Supplier address changes, Supplier ACH set up, Bank account changes, Supplier category changes from Non-reportable Student to Other, etc.) must be requested via the Tax Department Request Form. Please note that you may be required to upload documents securely upon completion of this form as one pdf document.
All requests realted to Non-US treaty benefits for Suppliers and Employees (e.g. FICA refund requests, Non-US treaty benefits request, Visa and passport updates, etc.) should be made via the Tax Department Request Form. Please note that you will be required to upload tax documents securely upon completion of this form as one pdf document.
The Tax Department does NOT provide personal income tax advice to students or employees, nor does it issue Form W-2 or Form 1098-T.
- All Form W-2 questions should be directed to the Payroll Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Form 1098-T questions should be directed to the Student Accounts at email@example.com.
- All other requests (e.g. Form 1099-MISC or Form 1042-S related requests) should be makde via the Tax Department Request Form. Allow 3 - 5 business days for your request to be processed.
The Tax Department's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please DO NOT e-mail tax related documents to our office.
Please note that Non-Reportable Students and Reimbursement payees are limited in the types of payments they can receive (see 'NON-REPORTABLE PAYMENTS' section below. We do not recommend registering for these two supplier categories if you may receive future payments (e.g. honorariums or awards) from the University as it will create payment delays.
Payments to US Citizens and Entities
Financial Affairs requires prospective U.S. suppliers to submit FATCA compliant W-9 information online in order to be set up as a University supplier. This process allows the Tax Department to accurately and efficiently compare the supplier's data to the IRS’s records and the State Department’s debarred lists for risk assessment. If the supplier’s legal name matches its tax identification number (TIN), such as an Employer ID Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) and the supplier is not listed as a possible match on a debarred State Department list, the supplier will generally be active in Workday Financials by COB on the second business day from online submission (i.e. a supplier registers on-line on Monday, the IRS and debarment review would be completed on Tuesday and if the supplier passes both reviews, it will appear active in Workday Financials for payment on Wednesday).
Steps for Payee Account Registration:
- All Georgetown University payees must appear as active in Workday Financials before payment can be requested. You can view active suppliers in Workday by typing 'GU Find Supplier' in the search box on GMS or by reviewing the list of active suppliers, here
If a supplier is not active in GMS, the individual must request a supplier ID (SUP-XXXXXXX) by submitting Form W-9 information here (please note that the University's on-line supplier setup portal will not allow for foreign addresses. See the section on exceptions to online form submission below.)
The supplier will receive automatic update e-mails through out the registration process. If setup is denied, contact the Tax Department to resolve.
Exceptions to online form submission:
- If a supplier is unable to complete an online W-9 form, the vendor has the option of completing paper Form W-9. Once completed and signed, the form should be e-mailed to the Tax Departments secure GU Box. This form may also be faxed to (202)687-5758. Please e-mail Taxdepartment@georgetown.edu once you have completed your submission.
- After completing the Tax Department Request Form on-line, non US payees are required to print and compelte a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E form. These forms are to be submitted to the Tax Department as directed by the Tax Department Request Form.
Please note that there is a modified process for payments to clinical and research participants.
Suppler Information change requests (i.e. Address changes and ACH payment changes) should be made here.
Payments to Non US Citizens and Entities
Please use the Tax Department Request Form to request a Supplier ID number, so that payment may be requested to Accounts Payable, or to upload employee tax documents.
Non US Citizens and Entities Documentation
A non-US Entity Supplier (company, corporation, partnership, etc.) that is providing services to Georgetown University, whether that provision be within or outside of the United States, must complete Form W-8BEN-E, Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner. This completed and signed document (all eight pages) must be received prior to the assignment of a supplier ID number
A non-US Citizen individual, generally an independent contractor, residing and performing services outside of the United States, needs only to complete Form W-8BEN form to be set up as a supplier
A non-US Citizen individual that is paid an honorarium, non-service stipend, non-service fellowship, royalty, prize, award, grant, payment for services as an independent contractor, or any other payment that is not compensation paid through payroll to individuals inside the US (i.e., is paid through Georgetown University Accounts Payable) must submit the following forms and documents in prior to the assignment of a supplier ID number and to allow the Tax Office to determine whether the payment is subject to withholding taxes:
- Foreign National Information Form
- Form W-8BEN
- Honorarium Eligibility Form (only required for honorarium payments)
- Copy of letter stating the purpose of the payment (award letter, etc.)
- Copy of a valid passport (including the page containing the passport photograph)
- Copy of current visa
- Copy of their I-20 or DS-2019 form (required for F or J visa holders)
- Copy of permission letter (from their sponsored home institution if not Georgetown; applies to F and J visa holders)
- The Tax Department will determine if Non US Citizen and Entity is eligible for treat benefits and contact the supplier for additional documentation.
A non-US Citizen employee receiving compensation through Payroll Services needs to provide the following forms and documents to the Tax Department to request treaty benefits, exemption from FICA or for determination of residency for tax status once that individual has been set up in the GMS Payroll system:
Non-US Supplier and Employee Information Change Requests should be made here.
Paying Individuals without a Social Security Number:
Non US citizens who are performing services and do not have a valid social security number (SSN), but have applied for a SSN may be set up the payroll system provided the following steps are followed:
Individual must apply for a SSN and obtain receipt from the Social Security Administration (SSA). The closest SSA office from main campus is located at 2100 M Street, NW. Once the individual received a SSN, he or she must provide a copy to the Tax Department and his or her Human Resources contact to update his or her payroll records.
Please note that all (US or Non-US) Individuals receiving ONLY reimbursements or refunds may be set up with a Supplier ID as non-reportable and do not have to provide the aforementioned documents. Please use the Miscellaneous Payment Request Form to request these types of payments.
All individuals and entities need a GMS Supplier ID (SUP-XXXXXXX) to receive a payment from the University.
If you are requesting a non-reportable payment to one of the spend categories below to an individual without a GMS Supplier ID, please make your request here. Please check for the individual or entity's name by running the 'GU Find Supplier' report in GMS or looking at the supplier list on the GMS webpage.
The following types of payments may be set up without providing a W-9 or W-8BEN Form:
- Non-Reportable Student (not required to perform any service for the payment) to U.S. Citizens for tax purposes (please note that non-U.S. Citizens must provide a W-8BEN for non service stipends, as indicated above)
- Non-employees receiving reimbursements for travel and other expenses (including non-service stipends, awards, reimbursements, etc.) to a non-US Citizen must provide W-8BEN form)
- Petty Cash Custodians
Non-Reportable suppliers will be set up in one of two new Supplier Categories, and can only be paid using the following Spend Categories as appropriate.
- Non-Reportable Student (This category is limited to U.S. Individuals)
- Accounts Receivable - Student (S0467)
- Fin Aid - Financial Aid (S0098)
- Fin Aid - Undergraduate (S0097)
- Non-Service Stipend (no tax) (S0189)
- Supplies - Student Reimbursement (S0760)
- Travel & Bus - Student - Athlete Meals (S0798)
- Plus all categories open to reimbusement payees below
- Oth Op Exp - Cost Reimbursement - No IDC (S0855)
- Accounts Receivable - Student (S0467)
- Accounts Receivable - Research Unbilled (S0465)
- Athletics (Bats, Balls, other equipment) (S0266)
- Casualty Property Claims (S0519)
- Medical Supplies (S0290)
- Oth Op Exp - Miscellaneous Refunds (S0188)
- PNC Bank (S0454)
- Reserve for Cancelled Checks (S0507)
- Refundable Government Loan Advances (S0513)
- Travel & Bus - Airfare - Domestic (S0325)
- Travel & Bus - Airfare - International (S0326)
- Travel & Bus - Baggage Fee (S0365)
- Travel & Bus - Cabs, Parking, Metro, Tolls, Bus (S0265)
- Travel & Bus - Car Rental (S0327)
- Travel & Bus - Credits for Travel (S0262)
- Travel & Bus - Hotel & Lodging - Domestic (S0328)
- Travel & Bus - Hotel & Lodging - International (S0329)
- Travel & Bus - Meals & Incidentals (S0364)
- Travel & Bus - Mileage Reimbursement (S0330)
- Travel & Bus - Miscellaneous (S0331)
- Travel & Bus - Registration, Abstract, and Other Fees (S0332)
- Travel & Bus - Space Rental - Event/Meeting (S0371)
- Travel & Bus - Train (S0333)
- Travel & Bus - Travel Agent Fees (S0334)
Petty Cash Custodian
Open to all Spend Categories
Once the supplier number is obtained, please request payment to Accounts Payable.