The mission of the Financial Affairs Tax Department is to guide the University in matters of international, federal, state and local taxation. The Tax Department creates and monitors policies and procedures for tax law compliance and the protection of the University’s tax exempt status.
We are responsible for:
- Maintaining the University's tax documents, including sales tax exemption certificates;
- Researching international, federal, state and local tax compliance for the University;
- Reviewing revenue generating agreements for Unrelated Business Income (UBI) and Private Business Use (PBU) reporting purposes;
- Monitoring Tax Exempt Bond Private Use;
- Preparing and filing the University's federal, state and local tax returns, including:
- Worker classification determinations;
- Collecting and maintaining the required tax documents (e.g., Form W-9, Form W-8BEN, Form W-8BEN-E) to setup Suppliers, including any Accounts Payable payee receiving an award, stipend, honorarium or reimbursements, in the University's Workday Supplier database;
- Ensuring the correct tax withholding for Non Resident Aliens (NRA) tax individuals paid through Payroll Services and Accounts Payable;
- Issuing Form 1099-MISC and Form 1042-S;
- Monitoring VAT (Value Added Tax) refund claims.
The Tax Department does not provide personal income tax advice to students or employees.
All Form W-2 questions should be directed to Payroll Services at email@example.com.
All Form 1098-T questions should be directed to the Office of Billing and Payment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Tax Department Team
Contact the Tax Department
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Fax: 202-687-5758
- Mail: Georgetown University Tax Department 37th & O Streets, NW, Box 571173 Washington, DC 20057-1173
- Our Office Location: 2121 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 400 Washington, DC 20007